Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Random Observations

Okay, I'll admit that this won't be an intellectual post or even one about anything of major importance.  Just thoughts that crossed my mind while observing my surroundings.

  1. No jet contrails in the sky.  This seemed odd to me, and I don't even know why I noticed it.  I looked up on this clear beautiful day as I was walking through the city and saw one jet crossing the sky.  ONLY ONE!  It reminded me of September 11, 2001 when all of the planes were ordered to land.  It was so quiet and strange to not hear the sound of airplanes flying through the sky.  That's what this felt like and it was just odd...in a good way, though.  Simply the sounds of people talking as they hurried to their destinations and the blaring of car horns.
  2. Bathroom facilities - Say what?  Yes, the restrooms in all of the government buildings that I've visited have co-ed facilities.  That is, a section of stalls with a small international symbol that means "male" and another section of stalls reserved for women.  All in the same restroom.  That was very odd.  I wonder what blind people do since there are no Braille signs in public buildings.  Restaurants and stores, however, are what I would consider normal.  Separate facilities.
  3. Blowing your horn!  Drivers blow their car horns for EVERYTHING!  Hurry up. Don't cross the street in front of me. Hurry up and cross the street.  I want out of this parking lot. I want in this parking lot. Get the hell out of my way. You're still in my way. Would you go ahead and turn, for goodness sake. Mr. Police Officer, I'm in a hurry so let's move it. I'm coming over in your lane whether you want me too or not. Oh, no you're not moving into my lane. I just wanna honk my horn.  Makes me wanna buy a can of "Whuppass" horn!
  4. Drunks. I was taking pictures at Independence Square which opened recently near downtown. A drunk dude - older guy, very drunk, loud, obnoxious and big enough to whip my ass - hit me on the shoulder and shouted in my eyes "No shoot. Stop. No shooting." I turned away to go about my business and he hit me again and started shouting.  Fight or flight??  Well, I'm not going to take on a drunken idiot with about 100 good Mongolian citizens standing around ready to come to his aid, and I did notice that they were starting to gather.  I quietly put my lens cap on and walked away, but I didn't want to.  I guess that's the power of a mob...LOL!  Hatnaa got a charge out of that one.  I did get a measure of revenge, however. We walked across the square to the National Election Commission offices.  I put on my zoom lens and took his picture.  Thankfully, I was too far away for him to see me, but it made me feel better!  Go ahead and laugh.  It is funny.

3 comments:

  1. What about money? Have you needed cash? What is the best food so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from international hotels and a few retail stores, all business is conducted in cash. The exchange rate is about $1 USD = 1,378 MN. It creates an illusion that you have a lot of cash. But when you pay 22,000 MN for a meal you quickly discover it ain't so. I've seen 2 ATM's in a city of 1.5 million people. There are numerous places to exchange currency. Admittedly, I haven't been everywhere, but I've been in the financial/government/retail district every day.

      In the cities and coutryside out of Ulaanbaatar, there are ZERO ATM's or no one takes plastic so you better load up before you go. I'm going to do a post on this later. Great question.

      Delete
  2. Good Grief. I really didn't need to read No. 4.

    ReplyDelete