Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hard to Say Goodbye...and Other Observations


In a few short hours, I'll get on a plane in Ulaanbaator, Mongolia.  Thirty hours later, I'll touch down at Bluegrass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky.  Two layovers - Incheon, South Korea and Detroit, Michigan.  And, then, home.  My old Kentucky home.

This is not my last post.  It is my goodbye to Mongolia post, however, with a few observations thrown in.

Am I excited to be going home?  I certainly am.  I can't wait to see Jackie and Spicy and sleep in my own bed.  I can't wait to see my family and friends and get back to KLC.  Will I miss Mongolia?  Yes, I definitely will.  Why?  Because I've had an incredible journey here and met so many wonderful people.

Before I leave though, I have one final dinner with Hatnaa tonight.  How do you say goodbye to someone that has put his life on pause and provided you the experience of a lifetime?  I don't know, honestly.  He scheduled twenty meetings for me with people who make decisions that affect an entire nation.  From a Member of Parliament to the Deputy Mayor of Ulaanbaatar.  From the chairman of the General Election Commission to the dean of the National Academy of Governance.  And just as importantly, the directors of the NGOs who work hard every day to improve the quality of life for the everyday citizen of Mongolia.  Heavyweights, one and all.

More than that, Hatnaa and I (along with Einkhtaivan) have shared experiences on the road together driving across the Mongolian countryside and visiting the places that are the essence of this great country.  This experience was supposed to be about "living" the life of a Mongolian.  Understanding what this country was all about.  It lived up to all of the hype and more.

Mongolians are friendly, generous and welcoming.  I learned we share a lot of the same struggles, emotions and frustrations.  I also learned to look at people and places through a different lens.  It's amazing what you can learn when you open your heart, eyes and ears to the world.  I know I'll be coming home with a different perspective.  Maybe a different attitude, too.  I want to do more, see more, be more and help more.  I think that was another purpose of this experience.  My jaded glasses have been removed, thankfully.  I feel alive and inspired and determined.

I don't know what I'll say or how I will feel when we say goodbye.  One thing is certain.  I won't leave feeling the same way I did when I arrived.  I said I wouldn't put my preconceived notions out there prior to experiencing the people and culture of Mongolia.  I'm glad I didn't because I was wrong about many things.  I've laughed at myself and I've been mad at myself.  That's what happens when we make assumptions before we really understand what things are all about. 

I do love this place and these people.  I thank Hatnaa from the bottom of my heart for helping me to see what his people and his country are all about. Goodbye dear friend!  And thank you for everything we did together.  I hope I'll see you again some day.

That's my observation for today.  Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment