Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Traditional Mongolian Cuisine

What about the food?  What about the food?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Have you eaten anything interesting?  Anything gross?  Anything?

Well, of course I've eaten every day.  Nothing too adventurous for me.  For example, NO, I'm not trying horse meat or goat innards.  However, I have had some really, really good traditional Mongolian dishes.

Traditional Mongolian Khuurga (Mutton)

The first dish is a very traditional mutton dish that looks and tastes like a stir-fry. We had this meal at the first Ger camp we visited in Kharkhorum.  It's called Khuurga and it is delicious!  I had this dish more than once during my stay in Mongolia.  Have a look at the photo I took.


 
 
Traditional Mongolian Mutton Khuurga
 
I have to say that this was a very tasty meal.  The mutton was fresh and the carrots, peppers and onions really added a rich flavor.  Served with rice and hot tea.  We had been on the road for almost 7 hours, and I was hungry.  This dish is so rich and filling that I could only eat about 2/3 of it.  Don't you love the hot serving plate in the shape of a sheep?
 
Lapsha (Mutton Noodle Soup)
 
For breakfast, we had traditional Mongolian Lapsha, a mutton and noodle dish with some onions served in a broth.  Soup for breakfast is a little foreign to me, but this may change my mind.  The soup was served steaming hot and is the ultimate comfort dish.  My taste buds danced a happy song, and I was full and satisfied, ready for another day on the road.  This photo is not my own, however, it is exactly what my breakfast looked like.  (I'd gladly give credit, however, it is in the public domain and I don't know the original photographer's name.)
 
 
Traditional Mongolian Lapsha (Mutton soup with noodles and onions)
 
 
Khuushuur (Meat pies)
 
Oh my, khuushuur is a tasty treat.  Chopped mutton and onions fried like a fritter in mutton grease.  These little pies were so delicious.  They were Paula Dean fattening delicious!  The traditional Mongolian dishes are meant to fill and satisfy.  The nomads have a very balanced diet.  The primary reason that so many of their dishes are meat-based or dairy-based is the climate.  The steppe plains are high (almost 1 mile above sea level), dry, windy and very, very cold during the winter.  We're talking -40C at times.  They work hard and burn lots of calories.  The fatty protein diet provides tons of vitamins and energy so they can survive the harsh climate.  This photo of Khuurshuur was borrowed. (Again, I'd gladly give credit, but no info available and in the public domain.)
 
 
 
Traditional Mongolian Khuushuur (Mutton Pies)
 
A lot of the food that I've eaten is what I would call "modern."  While Mongolians put their spin on everything, the dishes are not foreign to my taste buds.  I've had ham, sausage, chicken and beef prepared in a dozen different ways.  Nothing I've eaten has given me gastronomical nightmares.  I've also been very careful about choosing my food.
 
Water
 
The water is unsafe to drink.  The water is unsafe to drink.  Get it?  Even the hotel has signs that say "Do NOT DRINK water from the faucet or unbottled. It will make you ill."  That's clear enough for me!
 
Milk Tea and Koumiss (mare's milk) and Airag (fermented Mare's Milk)
 
So far, I've not been privileged to partake in any of these traditional Mongolian drinks.  But, I still have a few days.  Maybe I'll give it a try when I go back to the countryside on Thursday!  We did stop at a couple of places to see if they had Koumiss, but were out of luck (or in luck depending on your point of view).  I don't think I'll be allowed to leave the country until I've given one of these, er, tasty drinks a go.  I'll let you know about that later.
 
So there you have it.  The food has really been good and the hospitality large.  Mongolians, especially those in the countryside, enjoy entertaining visitors.  They're very open and friendly.  I've tried a little of everything and avoided the dreaded upset traveler's tummy so far.  I really do love the people here.  Traveling in the countryside reminds me of my boyhood days on the family farm in Lancaster, Kentucky.  These people are just good folks!

 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be disappointed if that cute dish doesn't come back in your luggage with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you for this informative read; I really appreciate sharing this great.

    ReplyDelete