Pages

Monday, September 17, 2012

State Policy Analysis Institute - National Academy of Governance

My jets are lagging!  I awoke this morning at 4:00 a.m. Gradually, my body clock is moving forward.  While My Old Kentucky Home was enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon, it's Monday morning in Ulaanbaatar and time to get ready for business.  I caught a beautiful sunrise over the capital city.
 

After a good breakfast, I returned to the room to prepare for a day of meetings at the National Academy of Governance.  When all was done, I laid down on the bed to watch TV and immediately fell asleep.  Upon awaking, I discovered that I had about 20 minutes before Hatnaa was to pick me up.  I've never showered and dressed so quickly in my life!  Just as I put my suit jacket on, Hatnaa called.  "Tad, I'm in the lobby," he said.  I was almost late on the first day!  Disaster averted.

We drove across town to the National Academy.  Let me just say right now that car drivers in Ulaanbaatar scare the HELL out of me. First, the steering wheel is located on the right-hand side, but people drive don't drive on the left-hand side like they do in Europe.  They drive (most of the time) on the right-hand side, so it's confusing to watch.  Second, drivers think that the lane striping is just a suggestion!  Sometimes, two lanes of traffic contain three cars and they all honk their horns constantly.  It's total chaos.  Just glad I'm not driving.  Thank goodness Hatnaa's driver knows what he's doing!

Professor Gelegil Chuluunbaatar is the director of the State Policy Analysis Institute (NGO).  This is the institute where Hatnaa works on democratic governance policy. Dr. Chuluunbaatar described the work of the institute which is to conduct research on the effectiveness of democratic governance and measure the impact of building civic capacity.  I really enjoyed our discussion.

The new president of Mongolia has directed that the institute update its biennial report on the state of democracy in Mongolia by March 2013.  Since 2005, the research has indicated that the quality of democracy has not improved, civic participation is low, and institutional intransigence is deeply imbedded in bureacracy.  The president has directed an initiative to promote and expand democratic inclusion and participation.  Dr. Chuluunbaatar expressed his appreciation for the partnership with the UK Martin School and the participation of KLC in hosting Hatnaa.  He described the importance of international relationships in sharing best practices and new ideas for improving the quality of life for our communities by building capacity at the local level.

 
Dr. Chuluunbaatar, State Policy Analysis Institute (NGO)
 
Next, I met with Dr. Sharai Batsukh, Vice-Director of the Mongolian National Academy of Governance. He is a very interesting person, and I learned that he studied in Leipzig.  He liverd for 8 years in the DDR (former East Germany) and 6 years in the GDR (former West Germany).  Incredible perspective of governance.  Dr. Batsukh and I discussed local community development under state policy and the challenges and opportunities for Mongolia.  We also discussed the development of national as it relates to national and international partners.  Our discussion was very pleasant and I had a big AHA moment.
 
He talked of the process of change within Mongolia and difficulty in changing people's mentality and expectations of what government should provide.  He believes that the key to Mongolia's successful transition to free markets lies in a "countryside development first" policy.  That is, basic infrastructure such as modern highways and water systems are the key to opening the country up to economic opportunity.  Essentially, small cities and communities must feel an inter-connectedness to Ulaanbaatar center, and people must be able to travel, live and work throughout the countryside if Mongolia is going to be as successful as it hopes to be.  That is an incredible concept in this country, and I think he makes a very good case.  Immediately, I thought of President Eisenhower's interstate initiative as well as the development of the toll road system throughout Kentucky.  Imagine where we would be today if those changes had not taken place. 
 
We discussed many other challenges.  One that I thought was particularly ironic.  "We don't necessarily require that the legislative body do anything for us, but please don't do anything against us."  That sounds so much like KLC and the General Assembly that I almost choked when he said it. I thoroughly enjoyed this entire discussion.
 
 
 
Dr. Sharai Batsukh, Vice-Director of the Mongolian National Academy of Governance
 
I'm going to pause here and catch my breath...er, my fingers.  I'll post our other meetings shortly as well as my adventures around the city.  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment