Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

When a Visa is Not A VISA


Last day before travel is always a little hectic.  This morning I was taking care of some work-related tasks when a reminder popped up that said "Delta - Time To Check-in."  I thought I would get a jump on things and get checked in so I could mark that off the list.

I logged onto my Delta account and started the check-in procedure when a window pops up that says "International Travel Alert!  You must enter your passport information." So I did.  When I hit enter, another window opened that said "Your itinerary requires a VISA for travel. Be sure you have the proper documentation before arriving at the airport."

I've had several discussions with UK and the State Department about obtaining a VISA for travel through South Korea and in Mongolia.  The definitive answer was always NO, you do not need a VISA because the US has agreements with both countries that waive the VISA requirement provided your stay is not longer than 90 days.

Sheer panic gripped my brain as I frantically called Delta to verify the message.  When the customer service rep came on the line, she informed me that I would need to bring the Visa card I used to make the reservation with me to check in or I would not be allowed to board.  Huh???  She said, "the credit card you used to make the reservation."  I explained that UK and the State Department were paying for the trip and that I didn't have the credit card. I then asked "Are you sure that we're talking about the same thing?  My screen says that I need a travel VISA to enter the countries on my itinerary."  

She assured me that I needed the credit card so I asked if a representative from UK could drop by the airport and present proof that they made the reservation.  She said that would be fine.

Again, I asked - for clarity's sake - are we talking about the same thing?  She then said "Oh, I see.  You need a VISA to enter Mongolia."  Oh brother...this was my worst nightmare.  Images of a dark, dank room with Mongolian officials questioning me for hours on end flashed before my eyes.  She asked me to please hold...which I did for about 30 minutes.  Finally, she came back on the line and informed me that TSA and Homeland Security were trying to sort this out and to please hold.  Another 20 minutes went by.

"Sir," she said.  "This has all been worked out.  You do not need a VISA and TSA has noted it on their computer system so if you are stopped by security, just tell them to check the notes."  That didn't sound definitive to me, but she assured me that everything was okay.  "Well that's a relief," I replied.  "What about the Visa credit card?"  She responded, "Oh, no problem.  I see that the university made the reservation and this is a State Department sponsored trip.  Everything is okay."Duh!!!  Shewwwww-weeeee!

Here I sit at this late hour wondering what will happen at 8 a.m. when I go to the airport. Will I stay or will I go?  This indecision's killing me.  There's a song there somewhere.  I can only laugh.  Hope I'm laughing in the morning, too.  

One other thing. I also learned that I couldn't check in online because I'm on an international flight.  The moral of this story - Sometimes a Visa is only a Visa except when it's a VISA.  Just sayin'!

2 comments:

  1. That was quite an experience, Tad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now sitting in the Incheon, South Korea airport. Just cleared my last hurdle to get on the plane for Mongolia. Thankfully, everything has gone smoothly today!

    ReplyDelete